Restorative Yoga Teacher Training
Level One (30-Hours) with Andrea Peloso
Live In-Person & Online
A Comprehensive Teacher Training, non-teachers also welcome.
This is a complete Restorative Certification for yoga teachers. This training is also open to everyone and many people from all walks of life attend this training.
30-Hrs of In-Person or Live Online Instruction over 2 Weekends
June 3 – 5 & 10 – 12 Weekends
Friday: 6pm – 9pm, Saturday: 1pm – 7pm, Sunday: 9am – 5pm (1-hour break Saturday and Sunday)
About the Instructor
Andrea Peloso has been offering courses based on her extensive experience assisting Judith Lasater as well as other teachers for over a decade and has been studying with Judith and teaching Restorative since 2004. She now teaches regularly across North America and sometimes further afield. Andrea creates a safe, fun, educational, and healing environment in which to learn and grow as people and as teachers. See Andrea’s full bio.
In-Person at Embody Yoga & Wellness, 10 Forbes Street – Suite #103, St. John’s, NL OR Online via Zoom. Limited to 10 in-studio spaces.
In the context of this course we will be studying the science of the nervous system as well as traditional wisdom and many different postures in different variations. We will be exploring the nuance and complexities of creating safer spaces for ourselves and others and creating a platform for deep experiences in the postures, beginning with ourselves.
- Basics of Restorative Yoga
- Understanding the Nervous System: Parasympathetic and Sympathetic.
- How Restorative Yoga Affects the Nervous System.
- The well-propped pose: to prop or not to prop and why?
- Stress related disorders, and how they can be caused by an imbalanced nervous system.
- Understanding the role of traditional wisdom and scientific understanding as it informs the Restorative Yoga Practice.
- Restorative Yoga and the 5 senses. Exploring these concepts practically through practice.
Elements of Support, Adjustments
- Cultural and psychological aspects of welcoming deep support.
- The role of mindfulness in the Restorative yoga practice.
- A detailed look at proper support of the hands, knees, back, pelvis, arms, and neck in Savasana and elevated chest pose.
- Use of blankets to move and support of the body.
- Art of touch.
- Adjustments with blankets.
- Stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system with either props or adjustments.
- Use of weights and sandbags
- Understanding the basics of what each pose does to various systems and parts of the body according to traditional wisdom.
- Ayurveda, Western Culture, and Restorative Yoga: The Three doshas and how they relate to Restorative Yoga – a general discussion with resources.
Pelvis and Lower Back
- Restorative Variations on Grounding the pelvis, and healing the Back.
- Using pillars (when possible)
- Postures that emphasise different sides of the lungs
- Postures for the liver
- The emotion of Anger
Understanding the affect of these poses on the full digestive system.
Women, Men, Intersex: Prostate, Menses and Menopause
A look at supporting hormonal changes in all manner of set ups according to each different condition.
Pregnancy, Fertility, Sides and Hips
- Restorative Yoga for Pregnancy, and Fertility.
- Restorative side supports
- Restorative side lying poses for scoliosis (when applicable)
- Restorative Yoga and Pregnancy – a lecture on the stages of pregnancy, what to avoid, and when.
Kidneys, Heart, Joints, and Depression
- Restoratives for Kidneys and Heart.
- Restoratives for Depression
- Understanding and modifying for specific injuries.
- Teaching Restorative Yoga with Case studies.
- Restorative Backbends
- Supporting various joint and structural injuries: specific issues, and techniques.
- Soothing Anger
- Calming distress
- Comforting Grief
- Awakening from dullness and depression
- Healing Anxiety
- Being Present to the Emotions in a Restorative Practice.
- The Art of Sequencing for Classes
- Restorative Yoga and the Four Seasons
- Teaching for Groups and Individuals
- Bringing Students to deep rest: ideal timing, atmosphere, reading the room.
- Practice Teaching: Gaining Confidence with presenting the material.
Final Project for Restorative Certification
For Restorative Teachers there is a final project that completes your certification. Components for the final project consist of cultivating a home practice in Restorative, a photo journal of private classes with individual Restorative students, and a book report. There is a $60 fee for certification within the first 6 months, The fee goes up to $85 after 6 months and no projects will be accepted for certification after one year.
Early Bird until March 31, 2022: $795 +HST ($914.25)
On April 1, 2022 price increases to $915+HST.
A non-refundable deposit of $300.00 is required to secure your place. Full payment required one week before the training.
Please send email transfer to email@example.com. Payment plan available. Email for details.